Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology (PAG):
- Is a “boundary” branch, between Pediatrics and Gynecology, Medicine and Surgery
- Dealing with gynecological and pubertal issue in girls, adolescent and young women from birth till a fully phsycho-physical develpment is acquired.
- Firstly it developed in Hungary and Czech Republic during the late thirties and forthies of the 20th century.
- It is recognized as a specialty by some European Universities.
- EBCOG recognizes PAG as “a branch of special interest”
The International Federation of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology – FIGIJ
- It is the International organization joining Medical Doctors involved in PAG all over the World
- Composed mainly but not only by gynecologists and pediatricians
- Its first Congress was held in Lausanne, Switzerland, in 1971
- The first president was Prof. Robert Contamin, from Grenoble, France
For more than eighty Years,
Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology has meant:
Study, Research, and Dedication
Towards Young Girls and Adolescents
…and Friendship all over the World
Leaders in PAG
Click on the buttons below to learn more about the founding leaders in the field of pediatric and adolescent gynecology
Prof. Lazlo von Dobszay
Hungarian pediatrician, died in 1983
He is one of the pioneers of PAG
Director of the State Asylum for Children at Gulya
He studied the development of genital organs in young girls.
In 1939 he published the first monograph on PAG
Altchek A, Pediatric Adolescent and Young Adult Gynecology, 2009
Prof. Rudolf Peter
Czech, gynecologist, 1900-1966
Pioneer of PAG
He started gynecologic consultations for young and adolescent girls.
In 1940, in Prague, he opened the first indipendent clinic for PAG in Europe.
Prague became the centre of teaching of PAG, attracting students mainly from Eastern Europe.
Prof. Sir John Dewhurst
British, gynecologist, 1920-2006
Professor of Obs & Gyn at the University of London
He worked at Queen Charlotte’s Hospital for Women
In 1963 he published his first book on PAG.
In 1983 he founded the journal “Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Dr Irmy Rey-Stocker
She was a visitor at Prof. Peter’s Department in Prague
She ruled a practice in PAG in Lausanne
She was Secretary General of FIGIJ.
Prof. George Creatsas
Full Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Chairman of the 2° Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Athens, Greece
Former President of FIGIJ
He was the promoter and first sponsor of IFEPAG exam.
Dr. Dan Apter
Former President of FIGIJ
Mostly involved in Gynecologic
Endocrinology and in Contraception
Prof. Mainaldo Maneschi
First president of the Italian PAG Society, founded in1984
Prof. Vincenzina Bruni
She was introduced to PAG by Dr. Irmy Rey-Stocker
She started PAG in Italy
She was the Director of PAG outpatient Dept. of Policlinico Careggi of Florence
Former FIGIJ Board Member
She is the Onorary President of the Italian PAG Society – SIGIA
As a world-wide recognition of what Prof Vincenzina Bruni did in the field of PAG in more than 40 years, the FIGIJ E.C. unanimously decided to establish a Prof. Bruni Lecturship in the future FIGIJ World Congresses
FIGIJ World Congresses
1. 1971 Lausanne
2. 1972 Bordeaux
3. 1976 Lausanne
4. 1978 Florence
5. 1979 Tokyo
6. 1981 Punta del Este ( Uruguay)
7. 1983 Athens
8. 1986 Washington
9. 1989 Bombay
10. 1992 Paris
11. 1995 Singapore
12. 1998 Helsinki
13. 2001 Buenos Aires
14. 2004 Athens
15. 2007 Sao Paulo
16. 2010 Montpellier
17. 2013 HongKong
18. 2016 Florence